Show hidden macOS files
October 11, 2018 | 08:12 PM
In macOS Sierra Apple added a Finder keyboard shortcut that makes it possible to quickly show all the hidden files and folders. You just need to do the following:
- Open the Finder
- Go to your Macintosh HD folder (access this from Devices in the left column)
- Hold down Cmd + Shift + . (dot)
- All the hidden files will become visible
- Hold down Cmd + Shift + . (dot) a second time to hide the files again
Another way to view hidden mac files is with terminal.
- Open Terminal
- Run the following script:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles true
- If you want to switch it back, simply change the true to false.